Tuesday 20 July 2010

20th Birthday Cake!

It was my 20th on Friday so I decided to make my own cake. I chose to do a two layer cake sandwiched together with vanilla frosting and covered the cake in fondant to try and make it look like a parcel. I also bought some blue food dye to dye some fondant in the hopes of doing polkadots and a bow.

I had to make the cake on Wednesday due to other commitments and baked two 8 inch plain sponge cakes and allowed them to cool before sandwiching together with the vanilla frosting. I then rolled out some fondant. I used Dr. Oetker's Ready to Roll fondant as there was no way that I was going to attempt to make fondant, let alone at 9 at night. (Side note : ready made fondant was really difficult to find in my local area, my brother ended up finding a couple of boxes at Morrisons, thank goodness!)

I covered the counter in icing sugar and rolled out the fondant until I thought it would cover all sides of the cake. I then put the fondant over my frosted cake. Uh, well I would've if the fondant hadn't stuck to the counter and ripped everywhere. Do over! I covered the counter in MORE icing sugar and tried again. Success! I smoothed the fondant over the cake and then cut off the extra bits which I would use to dye blue.

I've heard food paste is better to use to dye fondant with so I ordered a bottle from the website called Cakes, Cookies and Crafts The food paste I used was called Sugarflair which is suitable for vegetarians. They suggest using a tiny amount on a cocktail stick and then knead into the fondant. I did this a couple of times adding some more paste until I was happy with the colour. I then rolled out the fondant and cut out circle shapes using an egg cup. I then 'glued' the blue circles onto the white fondant using some more frosting.

By this time it had gone about half past 10 at night and I was beat. I decided it looked pretty good as it is and bypassed the bow. Maybe next year! Here it is!




Sorry for the lack of photos in this post, I didn't have my camera to hand when I was making it. My brother's requested a Chocolate Orange cake for his upcoming birthday so I'll make sure to take some more photos of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment