Monday 14 June 2010

Pecan Pie!

Ever since I returned home my mum's been eyeing up the Pecan pie recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook so a couple of days ago I finally got round to making it. Once again, a cheat I'm afraid! My mum had already bought a ready made sweet pie base so I just stuck with that. I swear the next pie is going to be completely hand-made. So, hold me to it.

The recipe in Hummingbird calls for Dark Corn syrup but they suggest if you can't find it to substitute with Golden Syrup and that's what I did. Combine golden syrup, sugar and a little salt in a saucepan and combine over a medium heat until it reaches boiling point.






Once the mixture has reached boiling point, I set it aside to cool and chopped up the Pecans nice and fine.


I then spread them about the bottom of the pie base.


Next came the tricky bit, combining three eggs with the still warm mixture without it scrambling. Fortunately, it combined nicely. Then I poured the mixture into the pie base.


I put the pie in the oven for roughly 50 minutes. Here it is just out the oven.


I served it with ice-cream. It was delicious!


Next cooking venture? I think I'll be unleashing the dinosaur sprinkles...

No comments:

Post a Comment