Saturday 29 May 2010

Faye's Birthday Cake.

It was my flatmate Faye's 20th Birthday last Wednesday. Her party was on the Thursday so I decided to make some cupcakes and a birthday cake for her. After taking a trip to a huge Tesco, I completely forgot to buy sugar and flour. Luckily we had some in the cupboard and Faye picked some up for me while she was in town.

I started by making layer one of the birthday cake. We only have one sandwich tin and it's a small one so I decided on two layer cake. I used the sponge cake recipe that is memorised in my head. 4oz sugar, 4oz butter, 4oz flour and 2 eggs. I creamed the butter and sugar until it was fluffy and then alternated adding the flour and eggs. I spooned the mixture into the pan and then waited about 40 minutes hoping the oven was going to be nice to me today. It came out beautifully so I continued on with the second layer. This one decided to be a little bit trickier and half of it decided to stay in the pan when I wanted it to come out. After a little reconstructive surgery, it turned out alright. After allowing them to cool, I whipped up some buttercream to put the two slabs of cake together and then covered the whole cake in buttercream so the fondant icing would stick. I'd bought the fondant icing and it was my first time using it. There was a scary moment where the icing decided to stick to itself as I tried to get it flat over the cake but that was soon fixed and it went on pretty nice.

I trimmed the edges and just stuck some happy birthday candles on top, it was pretty simple but it looked nice.



1 comment: